Office 365 Autodiscover Issues after Domain Migration

I’m helping a customer move a domain with a few mailboxes from one Office 365 tenant to another. After setting up the domain in the new Office 365 account, we got email flowing immediately (verified by logging in with OWA), but we were unable to set up Outlook pointing to the new tenant.

If you try to add the Office 365 account to a new profile from the Mail applet the Control Panel, you may see this:

O365 Autodiscovery 1

If you try directly from Outlook, this happens:

O365 Autodiscovery 2

The message “An encrypted connection to your mail services is not available” takes you to MS KB2989972, which suggests running the Outlook Connectivity Guided Walkthrough. Apparently that tool no longer exists (not found error), but the helpful Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant for Office 365 tool can be downloaded here:  https://diagnostics.outlook.com/. Running that tool confirms what I suspected, that there is an Autodiscover issue:

O365 Autodiscovery 3

Oddly, after running that tool, one user was suddenly able to connect, but the other two were not.

Microsoft Support suggested running some commands to reconfigure Autodiscovery on the machine:

REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover /v ExcludeScpLookup /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001
REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover /v ExcludeHttpsRootDomain /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001
REG ADD HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\AutoDiscover /v ExcludeSrvRecord /t REG_DWORD /d 00000001
ipconfig /flushdns

But that made no difference, even after a reboot.

I tried adding the mailbox to my own Outlook, to test it on another machine, but that didn’t work either.

Support says that propagation may take up to one day. So I guess we’ll try again tomorrow.

Update February 16, 2019

Sure enough, the next morning, Outlook was immediately able to connect to the mailbox at the new tenant. Seems that once you confirm it is an autodiscovery issue, it’s best to just wait 12+ hours and try again.

2 thoughts on “Office 365 Autodiscover Issues after Domain Migration

  1. Nigel Rothwell

    CHeers I was worried I did something wrong
    have the same issue. will wait till this eveing, as i added the domain at 20:00 yesteday

  2. Phil E

    Just had this same issue, separating out one domain into a new tenant and configuring mailflow for users in the new tenant. OWA access worked fine, Outlook connection not so much. the SARA tool reported no autodiscover issue, but I couldn’t connect using email@moveddomain.com, rather I had to connect using email@newdomain.onmicrosoft.com, which worked. I suspect autodiscover caching of data as you indicate. Thanks for you article!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.